One Killed, Others Injured As NURTW Factions Clash In Lagos (Photo)

One person was killed while several others were injured when two factions of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) clashed at Ijora Badia area of Lagos State. The Friday clash was between supporters of the state NURTW Chairman, Alhaji Tajuden Agbede and the newly elected National President, Alhaji Tajudeen Baruwa.

The Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Ijora Police Station, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), Akinola Olufemi, was said to have led some of his men to the scene of the mayhem to restore order. The injured victims were rushed to hospital for treatment. A member, who sustained a knife injury, was referred to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) in Surulere, Lagos, for medical attention. He was confirmed dead on arrival at the hospital.

The Chairman of Tricycle Owners’ Association of Nigeria (TROAN), Apapa Branch, Comrade Oyetakin alias School Boy, said: “There are two factions of NURTW in the state. The incident occurred on Friday after news filtered into the town that Baruwa had been declared the winner of the National President of NURTW, in the election held in Abuja.

“Our leader, Tajudeen Agbede, had earlier called us that our team lost the President position. He said that we should remain calm in our various branches. He said that if anyone wants to fight us, we should report such a case to the police immediately. It is because of the celebration that (someone) invited a known killer in Surulere to attack our members. When the killer got to the place, he started looking for Agbede’s faction.

“Immediately he saw some of us, he started hurling bottles and shooting sporadically into our midst. In the process, many of us were injured. This is not the first time things like these would be happening. Several of our members were injured and one person died. “The Area Commander called for a peace meeting, and when we got there, he ordered four of our members to be arrested and detained. Those that are loyal to Baruwa were allowed to go scot free. Now our member has been killed and others detained.”